Kinghorn (Easter), parish

Grid reference

NT 272 869 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

327200 686900





Nearby places

Bennet's Hill, Kinghorn (0.67 miles)

Crombie, former parish Toryburn (1.32 miles)

Eglise Marie, eccles. Kinghorn (1.36 miles)

St Helena, settlement, Kinghorn (1.87 miles)

St Catherine's Chapel, Kirkcaldy & Dysart (1.93 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?


Relationships with other parishes

Contains Abbotshall, former parish KDT (formerly)


Parish details

Kinghorn, formerly Kinghorn Easter or Magna to distinguish it from Kinghorn Wester or Parva (now Burntisland).

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

The lands of Carden formed a royal hunting forest from at least the 12th century, attached to the king’s constabulary of Kinghorn. In [1659] these lands became a barony, which comprised the Mains of Carden, Bowleys +, Bowhouse, Coalden and Keir(chapel), as well as the lands of Begg. These were all part of KGH until 1642, when they were annexed to ADN (Stevenson 1900, 240). The chapel at Keir(chapel) appears to have been a chapel-of-ease serving this remote corner of the parish, but dependent on the par. kirk of Kinghorn Easter. Its remains were found in 1993 at NGR NT23919458 (DES 1993, 28). SGF/1828 marks a 'burying place' on the site. There were two small detached portions of ABO within KGH. These consisted of 1) the lands of Inchkeirie + attached to the ancient chapel of St Malinus, an early possession of Inchcolm Abbey (Inchcolm Chrs. nos.1 and 2; see also above and Bothedlach BEA); and 2) the lands of Kilrie, also an early possession of Inchcolm (q.v.). 1) was disjoined from ABO and annexed to KGH in 1649 (APS vi part ii p.171); and 2) likewise in 1891. In 1901, when AAX, KXY and DYX were amalgamated to form the par. of Kirkcaldy and Dysart (KDT), a small part of KGH which lay south of the mouth of the Teil Burn, and which included Brigton * +, was annexed to KDT (Third Statistical Account, Fife, 469).