Kilmorack, parish

Grid reference

NH 493 442 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

249300 844200

Latitude

57.46322614873002

Longitude

-4.512622540224183

Nearby places

Kilmorack church, Kilmorack (0 miles)

Kilmorack, settlement Kilmorack (0.12 miles)

Kiltarlity Cottage, settlement, Kiltarlity (0.26 miles)

Kiltarlity, former parish, K & Convinth (0.31 miles)

Kiltarlity, eccles. Kiltarlity & Convinth (0.31 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for the medieval parish kirk, the site of which is marked by a large grave-yard; it stood on a bluff on the north side of the River Beauly above the Falls of Ess (today the site of a hydroelectric power-station), very close to the medieval church of Kiltarlity, which stood on the south side of the river just below the Falls.

Parish details

Kilmorack

Parish TLA

KLO

County

Inverness-shire

Medieval diocese

Ross

Parish notes

It first occurs in the record as the parish of Altyre, which (in the form Alter) is its name in Bagimond (1274), where it is recorded as paying nothing towards the papal tax ‘because it is poor’. See Cowan 1967, 106. Up until 1891 KLO had a detached part surrounded by Urray ROS (URY), and within it had a detached part of Urray ROS. The details are as follows: From URY ROS to Kilmorack KLO INV: Barnyards, Tomich (farm, part) and part of Highland Railway Line between Beauly and Muir of Ord (see Shennan 1892, 150). From Kilmorack KLO INV to URY ROS: Ardnagrask, Moor of Lettoch, Muir of Ord (House and land, as well as Temperance Coffee House!), other parts of Muir of Ord, including hotel and station, and Tomich and Lettoch, Windmill (Shennan 1892, 133). In 1891 Easter, Mid and Wester Crochiel (sic), and Inchully, were transferred from KLO to KCV (Shennan 1892, 150).