Kelso, parish

Grid reference

NT 728 338 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

372800 633800

Latitude

55.5970625048769

Longitude

-2.4316855469550993

Nearby places

Abbey of St Mary [and St John], Kelso (0 miles)

St Andrews Church, episc. Kelso (0.09 miles)

St Leonard's, settlement Kelso (0.2 miles)

St Michael's Church, Maxwell, Kelso (0.32 miles)

Maxwell, former parish, Kelso (0.32 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The NGR is for the Abbey of Kelso, which also functioned as the parish church, as noted in 1517 by John Duncan, clerk of Glasgow diocese: "The monastery itself is double, for not only is it conventual, having a convent of monks, but it is also a ministry; for it possesses a wide parish with the accompanying cure of souls which the Abbot is accustomed to exercise through a secular presbyter-vicar, removable at his pleasure. The Abbot exercises episcopal jurisdiction over his parishioners himself. ... The church is divided by a transverse wall into two parts; the outer part is open to all, especially parishioners both women and men, who there hear masses and receive all sacraments from their parochial vicar. The other part, the back of the church, takes only monks who chant and clebrate the Divine Office' (cited by NMRS)

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Parish TLA

KEO

County

Roxburghshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

'Confirmed to the abbey of Kelso by Robert, bishop of St Andrews c.1128, probably having been acquired in that year on the transference of the abbey from Selkirk' (Cowan 1967,92-3)