Kincardine, parish ROS

Grid reference

NH 605 894 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

260500 889400





Nearby places

Lady's Well, Kincardine (0.12 miles)

St Devenick's Church, ~eccles. Creich SUT (1.93 miles)

St Demhan's Cross, Creich SUT (1.93 miles)

Creich, parish SUT (1.93 miles)

Coire Bhenneit, Kincardine KCR (ROS) (4.7 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?



NGR for Kincardine Parish Kirk, built 1799, probably on the site of its predecessor (NMRS). A Pictish symbol-stone was found close by, but is now lost (NMRS).

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese


Parish notes

Apparently an independent parsonage in 1274, this church had been erected into a prebend of Ross by 1440. See Cowan 1967, 110. ‘The church, built in 1799, seems to occupy the site of its predecessors at the mouth of a small stream on the Dornoch Firth, about a mile east from Invercarron....... At Kilmachalmag on the Oikel stood a chapel...’ OPS ii pt 2 411. About the year 1790 ... the inhabitants of Kincardine used five cemeteries, two in Kincardine and three in the parish of Creich SUT. OPS ii pt 2, 411, quoting from OSA. OPS then adds the note: ‘This circumstance and others seem to intimate that part of Creich at one time belonged to Kincardine, but we have no direct evidence on the subject’. ‘In 1686 James VII, in a deed confirming the barony of Balnagowan to David Ross of B., erected the village of 'Ardgay in Kincarden' into a burgh of barony to be called the burgh of Bonarness’ - see APS viii, p.629, quoted in OPS ii pt 2, 413. Also ibid. there is a fair called Feille-Edeichan held at Kincardine at the end of November or beginning of Dec. (NSA). For more on this, see Watson 1904, 3 & footnote (Féill Éiteachan). ‘Probably from éiteach ‘root of burnt heather’’ [a strange name for a fair]. See also Black 2000. cf Etchan bp. M.T. 11 Feb. (M.O. notes: in Clúain fota Baetáin in Fir bile - in south of Meath - + story of how Columba goes to him to receive episcopal orders, and Etchan messes it up. (Stokes 1905, 73). Full description of piece of early christian relief-carved monument with David and the lion, from Kincardine kirkyard. - Trench-Jellicoe 1997, 168-70 (in Henry 1997). Shows close parallels with Nigg stone. (ibid., 169). Note also 1. lands of Dalnauchtane or Dalvanachtan (now obsolete) - OPS ii pt 2, 413; also Watson 1904, 21. 2. Amat na h-eaglais - ‘Amat belonging to the Church’ KCR ROS (Watson 1904, 6) - as opposed to Amat na’ tuath - ‘Amat belonging to the husbandmen’ [ cf. Nydie ecclesie & Nydie rusticorum FIF] (Amat - at meeting of the Carron & the Blackwater NH47 90). Not mentioned in OPS ii pt 2, 410-14, except for the fact that in 1365 Hugh of Ross, lord of Fylorth, brother of William earl of Ross, granted to Paul Mactyre and his wife Mariot of Grahame, niece of Hugh of Ross, and to his heirs ... the lands of Tutumtarvock, Turnok, Amot & Langvale in Strathokel. From Cronicle of the Earlis of Ross, quoted in OPS ii pt 2, 411. Early forms: Amad Heglis & Amad Tua [?] 1590s Pont [printed in Blaeu] No changes noted in Shennan 1892.