Campbeltown, modern parish

Grid reference

NR 710 200 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

171000 620000

Latitude

55.420269132493914

Longitude

-5.619004010572218

County

Argyllshire

Nearby places

St John Street, Campbeltown (0.57 miles)

Kilkerran, former parish Campbeltown (Kintyre) (1.2 miles)

Kilkerran, settlemt, Campbeltown (Kintyre) (1.2 miles)

Kilkerran, ~eccles. Campbeltown (Kintyre) (1.2 miles)

Loch Kilkerran, Campbeltown (Kintyre) (1.24 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Parish TLA

CAM

County

Argyllshire

Parish notes

In 1617 a parliamentary commission united the parishes of Kilkerran, Kilmichael and Kilchousland, and in 1621 another commission was empowered to erect a church for serving the united parish (APS iv, 605, 607). The church appears to have been opened only in 1638. At a subsequent period Kilkevan was added to the united parish, afterwards named Lochead, and at a later period Campbeltown, but still known locally as Cean-loch-chille-Chiaran. OPS ii (1), 12.