Binny, former parish, Ecclesmachan

Grid reference

NT 030 726 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

303000 672600






West Lothian

Nearby places

St Giles's Church, Binny, Ecclesmachan (0 miles)

Uphall, parish (alias Strathbrock) (1.81 miles)

Ecclesmachan, parish (1.84 miles)

Ecclesmachan, ~eccles. Ecclesmachan (1.84 miles)

Ecclesmachan, settlement Ecclesmachan (1.84 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Relationships with other parishes

Within Ecclesmachan, parish

Within Linlithgow, parish (formerly)

OS 6inch 1st edn

Relationships with other places

Contains St Giles's Church, Binny, Ecclesmachan

Parish details

Binny, united to Linlithgow after the Reformation, separated from Linlithgow and united to Ecclesmachan in 1891 (Shennan 1892, 306).

Parish TLA


Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

Binny/Binning was in origin a chapel of Linlithgow, and as such belonged to St Andrews Priory. It had become a parish by 1548 (Cowan 1967, 18).