Ayr, parish

Grid reference

NS 331 220 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

233100 622000

Latitude

55.46330783906831

Longitude

-4.640186768232748

Nearby places

St John the Baptist's Church, Ayr (0.12 miles)

Friars Well, Ayr (0.44 miles)

Auld Kirk of Ayr, Ayr (0.44 miles)

St Nicholas Rock, Ayr (0.44 miles)

St Leonard's Hospital & chapel, Doonslee, Ayr (1.51 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for ruins of St John the Baptist Church, shown on OS 6 inch 1st edn. The current parish church (Auld Kirk of Ayr) seems to have retained the dedication, though built in 1654 to the east, on the foundations of the old Franciscan friary. NMRS records: 'All that remains is the strong tower which was built against its West gable in the 15th century. This tower has been much reconstructed, notably in 1778 when the parapet was added, and was finally restored by the Marquis of Bute in 1914. ... Two early medieval stone coffins and numerous grave slabs with incised decoration have been recovered.'

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Alloway, former parish, Ayr

Contains St Quivox, former parish, aka Sanchar, Ayr

Parish TLA

AYP

County

Ayrshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow