Athelstaneford, parish

Grid reference

NT 532 773 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

353200 677300

Latitude

55.98643345392749

Longitude

-2.750204987887023

Nearby places

St Mary's Nunnery, Haddington (1.68 miles)

St John's Chapel, Drem, Athelstaneford (1.98 miles)

Ladywell, settlement Haddington (2.22 miles)

Lady's Well, Haddington (2.22 miles)

St Martin's Church, Haddington (2.24 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for Athelstaneford parish kirk, built on the site of the medieval kirk (NMRS, Canmore ID: 56291).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other places

Contains St John's Chapel, Drem, Athelstaneford

Parish details

Athelstaneford

Parish TLA

ATF

County

East Lothian

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

The church with its teinds was confirmed to nuns of Haddington in 1359 as donation of Richard bp. of St A (1163x78), but original donor may have been Countess Ada, who founded the nunnery (RMS ii no.610; Ass. 166). Described as a chapel in 1298 (Cold. Corresp. cxii), possibly because the church at that time was served by a removeable chaplain. A vicarage appears to have been erected in 15th c. (CPL xii, 114-6; SHR xxxii, 93). Cowan 1967, 9. See Shennan 1892, 315, for a small parish boundary change (detached part of Athelstaneford called Sandysmill (house, mill and land) was transferred to Prestonkirk.