Ashkirk, parish

Grid reference

NT 466 219 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

346600 619900

Latitude

55.48796734109697

Longitude

-2.8451649721625527

Nearby places

Ashkirk, eccl. (0 miles)

Bishop's Well, Ashkirk (0.06 miles)

St Ninian's Well, Ashkirk (0.19 miles)

Catherine's Plantation, Ashkirk (1.07 miles)

Ladywood Edge, Selkirk (2.67 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the kirk 'rebuilt' in 1790 (NMRS, Canmore ID: 54326). ScotlandsPlaces: A parish in Selkirkshire between 1891 until 1975. Before 1891 it was in Roxburghshire and partly in Selkirk. A medieval parish and a parish for both civil and religious purposes from the sixteenth century until 1975. The boundaries of the civil parish were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other places

Contains Ashkirk, eccl.

Contains Bishop's Well, Ashkirk

Contains Catherine's Plantation, Ashkirk

Contains St Ninian's Well, Ashkirk

Parish details

Ashkirk

Parish TLA

ASH

County

Selkirkshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

Confirmed to the episcopal mensa of Glasgow in 1170 by Pope Alexander III. Before 1390, however, the parsonage was erected into a prebend of Glasgow cathedral. For more details see Cowan 1967, 9. For a 12th c. boundary concerning Ashkirk, see RRS ii no.215.