Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
NO 139 109 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
St Columba's Church, Arngask (0 miles)
Pottie, former parish, Dron (3.03 miles)
St Mary's Chapel, Strathmiglo (3.04 miles)
Dron, parish (3.11 miles)
Maryfield, settlement Portmoak (3.5 miles)
Parish (extant in 1975)
Site of old parish church, close to Arngask House.
Relationships with other places
Contains St Columba's Church, Arngask
AGK belonged to the deanery of Fothrif, diocese of St Andrews (Dunf. Reg. no.313). From the late 13th c. the church, dedicated to St Columba, belonged to Cambuskenneth Abbey (see Camb. Reg. nos.1 and 22; see also Cowan 1967, s.n.). In the medieval period AGK was smaller than it is today, and lay completely in Fife. The part west of the River Farg was transferred from Forgandenny par. (FDY) PER to AGK in 1642, while the lands around Duncrievie were taken from ORW KNR and attached to AGK in 1669 (Mackie 1958, 113 and 121). These lands remained, however, in their respective counties, which meant that the par. came to straddle the three counties of Kinross, Perth and Fife. This state of affairs obtained until 1891, when it was transferred entirely to Perthshire. Those places which made up the medieval parish of Arngask were :Arngask itself, Conland, Fargie (Old and New), Foresterseat, Letham and Pitillock. The secular caput of the medieval Fife parish of Arngask was Fargie, and also included Conland, Newton and Pitillock. In the late 13th c. the mill of Arngask also had rights over lands of Balvaird, Binn and Catochil ANY PER, then ANY FIF. This claim was obviously uncertain, and the rights were disputed in the 16th c.. It may be that the arrangement was a customary one, the lands in Abernethy (FIF) being closer to the mill of Arngask than to that of Abernethy (Rogers 1992, 270-71) (no map). For the suggestion that the lordship of Fargie (AGK FIF) belonged to the king’s poet till the late 13th c., and included the lands of Balvaird (ANY FIF), see Bannerman 1996, 24-9 (including map p.27). Note that Bannerman’s statement that these lands lay ‘athwart the Fife/Perthshire boundary in ANY, AGK and SLO’ is misleading, since in the medieval period all the lands associated with Fargie and Balvaird lay in Fife (1996, 25). In 1891 the following changes were made: From AGK FIF to AGK PER [i.e. original parish] Arngask, Damhead (parts), Gallaknowe, Balvaird (house, smithy and land), Blindwells (farm), Newton of Balcanquhal, Conland, Edenshead (lands), Pitillock, Duncrievie (moor), Glenfarg (houses, land and part of lodge), Newfargie, Haughs of Newfargie (land), Letham and Forester’s Seat, Muirfield, Summerfield, Old Fargie and Fargie Bank, Glenfarg Station (part). Shennan 1892, 199-200. From AGK KNR to AGK PER: Barley Mill (house, lands etc.), Smiddyhill, Birniehill, Easter Blair, Wester Blair, Candy Barley Mill, Glendy and Candy, Craigfargy and Shirend, Damhead (parts), Duncrevie (sic) (house, land etc.), Hilton of Duncrevie, Langside, Rashiefold, Redfordneuk, West Plains (lands). Shennan 1892, 203-4. In 1632 the land of Fordell and Blairstruie were described as being in AGK but formerly in FDY, and in 1642 the lands of East Fordell, West Fordell, Paris, Deuglie, Blair, Plaines, Glendye and Glendye Milne were transferred from FDY to AGK (Rogers 1992, 266). For a list of touns in the parish of FDY 1505-1506 see Dunk. Rent. 194, 195, 200 etc..