Ardrossan, parish

Grid reference

NS 232 424 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

223200 642400

Latitude

55.6429353456127

Longitude

-4.809633215848035

Nearby places

Stevenston, parish (2.11 miles)

St Monk's Church, Stevenston (2.11 miles)

Glenbride, settlement West Kilbride (3.43 miles)

Kilbride Burn, West Kilbride (3.53 miles)

Kilbride, settlement, West Kilbride AYR (3.97 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for Ardrossan Old Parish Church. NMRS records that its foundations are still visible, though the building came down in a story in 1691. It may have been a thirteenth-century building (NMRS, Canmore ID: 41123).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Parish details

Ardrossan

Parish TLA

ARO

County

Ayrshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

The church belonged to Kilwinning Abbey in 1226, when a compromise was reached between the bishop of Glasgow and the abbot, and the right to serve by a chaplain was granted (1226 Glasg. Reg. no.140). See also Dalry DLR. At Reformation the parsonage and the majority of the vicarage teinds remained annexed, while a vicar portioner served the cure. See Cowan 1967, 8 for more references.