Applegarth, parish

Grid reference

NY 104 843 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

310400 584300

Latitude

55.144874312860914

Longitude

-3.4059432011610045

Nearby places

Dryfesdale, parish (1.01 miles)

St Cuthbert's Church, Dryfesdale (1.01 miles)

Lochmaben, parish (1.81 miles)

St Mary Magdalene's Church, Lochmaben (1.81 miles)

Brydis-Chapell, settlement, Lochmaben (2.06 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for eighteenth-century parish kirk where two stones are of probably medieval date (NMRS, Canmore ID: 66883).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Sibbaldbie, former parish, Applegarth

Relationships with other places

Contains Dalmakethar, settlement, Applegarth

Contains Mary's Cleugh, Dryfesdale/Applegarth

Parish details

Applegarth now including Sibbaldbie SBX since 1609 (RPS 1609/4/35).

Parish TLA

APP

County

Dumfriesshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

Unappropriated, the church remained an independent parsonage in the patronage of the Jardines of Applegarth. Cowan 1967, 7. It was also known as Jardine (Hist. Atlas of Scotland 1996, 351). After the Reformation it was united with the medieval parish of Sibbaldbie SBX.