Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
NT 461 798 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
St Mary's Chapel, Aberlady (0 miles)
St Mungo's Wells, ~well, Haddington (2.12 miles)
St Andrew's Church, Dirleton (2.15 miles)
Dirleton, parish (aka Gullane) (2.15 miles)
Mungoswells, settlement Haddington (2.21 miles)
Parish (extant in 1975)
NGR for 15th-century rubble-built church, probably built as successor to a chapel of the BVM at the same site. NMRS records the presence of a fragment of an Anglian cross-slab found here in 1863. Canmore ID: 54866.
Relationships with other parishes
Contains Gladsmuir, modern parish (formerly)
Relationships with other places
Contains St Mary's Chapel, Aberlady
The lands of Aberlady belonged to the bishops of Dunkeld from at least the mid 12th c. (Dryburgh Liber 70), and the parsonage would appear to have likewise pertained, for only the vicarage appears in Bagimond (72). Still a mensal church at the Reformation (Ass. 317). The vicarage was reputed to have been erected into a prebend of Dunkeld by Bp. Thomas Lauder (1452-81), and was certainly so by 1469 (Myln, Vitae, 24; RMS ii no. 1056; RSS iv no. 1034; v no. 2314). Cowan 1967, 3.
Names1 head-name linked to this place ?
Certainty that this name applies to this place
The status of this name is
Is this a current OS form? ?
Is this the original referent of the place?
Is the association of this name to this object hypothetical?