Keirblane, settlement, Ardoch

Grid reference

NN 830 090 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

283000 709000

Latitude

56.25914521296677

Longitude

-3.888938700030565

Nearby places

Ardoch, modern parish (0.66 miles)

St Kessog's Chapel, Muthill (4.21 miles)

Blackford, modern parish (4.21 miles)

Kippendavie, settlement Dunblane & Lecropt (4.83 miles)

Ladyscroft, Blackford (4.86 miles)

Object Classification

Settlement

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

It seems likely that Keirblane got its name by its connection to the Deans of Dunblane. It was called Kere Decani in 1442 ('Dean's Keir', RMS ii no. 270), and given the alternative name Deanis Keir in 1592 (RPS 1592/4/120) because of this ownership. And Roger Gordon was dean of Dunblane when he granted the land in 1558 (RMS v no. 1234). The Kere or Keir element is probably from Gaelic ceathramh, 'quarter'.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Ardoch, modern parish