Ardmichael, South Uist

Grid reference

NF 731 333 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

73100 833300

Latitude

57.27323453212596

Longitude

-7.424949235185887

County

Inverness-shire

Nearby places

Cladh Mhicheil, South Uist (0.06 miles)

Rubh' Àird-mhicheil, South Uist (0.2 miles)

St Mary's Church, South Uist (RC) (2.29 miles)

Caibeal Dhiarmaid, South Uist (2.55 miles)

St Columba's Church, South Uist (2.55 miles)

Object Classification

Coastal

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

This promontory has a western tip called Rubh’ Àird-mhicheil, and the name (though not on OS maps) is still used in local roadsigns, directing people to a modern military cemetery there. But there were older cemeteries there too, shown on OS 6 inch map (1843 x 1882), suggesting that the place is named after the patron saint of a likely chapel there. 'It was customary for the priest in charge of the mission to celebrate mass on this day (29 September) in the ruins of the Old Church, where almost all the people assembled from the ford of Benbecula to the sound of Barra. The most of them took their ponies with them, each lad having his lass en croupe behind him. When Mass was over, horse racing commenced. If the tide answered, they retired to the strand, where there were miles of the most beautifula nd long stretch of plain, where they could [test] to perfection the mettle of their steeds. In case that the tide was not favourable, they were never at a loss, as there were other plains which answered well enough the purpose. The proceedings of the day ended by a ball in every township' (Scottish Catholic Archives DA9/45, 'The Mission of South Uist, 1891) by Father Alexander Campbell (1818-1893). [Thanks to Dòmhnall Uilleam Stiùbhart for this citation]

Relationships with other parishes

Within South Uist, modern parish

Relationships with other places

Contains Cladh Mhicheil, South Uist