Bridie's Well, Balmerino

Grid reference

NO 377 237 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

337700 723700







Nearby places

Lady Well, Balmerino (0.26 miles)

St John's Well, Balmerino (0.39 miles)

Balmerino, parish (formerly Coultra) (1.29 miles)

St Ayle's Kirk, Balmerino (1.29 miles)

Abbey of St Mary and St Edward, Balmerino (1.3 miles)

Object Classification



See Taylor & Márkus iv, 151-2, 163. The well has now disappeared, but the name survives in Bridieswell Gardens, a street at the south end of The Gauldry. The well stood in what is now the garden of a house at the corner of Bridieswell Gardens and Balgrove Road. It was visited by RCAHMS in 1956 and found to be in the form of 'an earth mound with a wooden inspection doorway in the south face' but by June 1970 it had been covered over and the water piped away. The above NGR is of the well as shown on earlier maps.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Balmerino, parish (formerly Coultra)