Abbey of St Mary and St Edward, Balmerino

Grid reference

NO 358 246 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

335800 724600





Nearby places

Balmerino, parish (formerly Coultra) (0.22 miles)

St Ayle's Kirk, Balmerino (0.22 miles)

St John's Well, Balmerino (1.07 miles)

Lady Well, Balmerino (1.16 miles)

Bridie's Well, Balmerino (1.3 miles)

Object Classification



Is linear feature?



The Cistercian Abbey of Balmerino was founded by Alexander II and his mother Ermengarde c.1227, though the Chronicle of Melrose states "In December 1229, the abbey of St Edward of Balmerino was made and the convent sent to it from Melrose." However, a list of Cistercian foundations gives its date as 1227, and the abbot of St Edwards attested an indenture at Kinloss in September 1229, before the date given in the Melrose Chronicle. The Abbey was burned by the English in 1547, and further damage was done by Reformers in 1559. The church, dedicated to St Mary and St Edward, was evidently built about the second quarter of the 13th century. A south aisle was added later, possibly c.1286. Only the lower parts of the northern walls are standing, with little more than the foundations of the others, as exposed by excavation in 1896. The cloister lay on the N side of the church. Of its N and W sides, nothing is left above ground, and the E range is reduced in height. Beyond it on the N and E are the remains of the Abbot's house, and the barn. (See RCAHMS 1933 for detailed account).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Balmerino, parish (formerly Coultra)