St Columba Church, Petty

Grid reference

NH 738 498 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

273800 849800

Latitude

57.52097485464122

Longitude

-4.107374369632795

County

Inverness-shire

Nearby places

Petty, parish (0 miles)

St Columba's Chapel, Petty (1.45 miles)

St Mary's Chapel, (ant.) Inverness & Bona (2.15 miles)

Dalcross Chapel, Croy & Dalcross (2.39 miles)

Dalcross, former parish, Croy and Dalcross (2.39 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The present church built at this site in 1836 (NMRS). This is likely to be the site of the old parish kirk, given its proximity to Old Petty (the castle) and the remains of the motte adjacent. It can therefore be assumed to be the same place as Heglish-Coumekille described in Geog. Coll. ii, 557-8: 'Alt Terly (OS Alterlie, NH716493), a myl thence Bony (= Lonnie?, NH737491), a myl thence Heglish-Colmekill'.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Petty, parish

Relationships with other places

Related ? St Columba's Chapel, Petty