St George's in the Fields, Glasgow

Grid reference

NS 583 668 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

258300 666800

Latitude

55.8735253334744

Longitude

-4.2650529291034465

County

Lanarkshire

Nearby places

St George's Cross, Glasgow (0.22 miles)

St Vincent Street, Glasgow (0.81 miles)

St George's-Tron Parish Church, Glasgow (0.95 miles)

St Theneu's Gait, Glasgow (1.18 miles)

St Teneu's Well, Glasgow (1.21 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

www.theglasgowstory.com: 'The first church of St George's-in-the-Fields was linked to the parish church of St George (in the centre of Glasgow). It opened in 1824 in what was a largely rural area, hence the name. The building was destroyed by fire in 1884 and its Church of Scotland congregation appointed brothers Hugh and David Barclay as the architects for its replacement. The memorial stone was laid on 23 May 1885, and the building opened on 7 Feb 1886. The church continued in use until 1979, and lay derelict until 1987 when it was converted into private flats.' The large neo-classical church bears its name on the front pediment, and is therefore still known by that name, though not shown as such on OS maps. It is presumably the origin of the names: St George's Road and, at the south end of that road, St George's Cross and St George's Place (OS Digimap).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Glasgow, parish