Parton, parish

Grid reference

NX 697 698 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

269700 569800

Latitude

55.005608542160566

Longitude

-4.037566975777002

Nearby places

St Inan's Church, Parton (0 miles)

Balmaghie, parish, BMG, aka Kirkandrews (2.67 miles)

St Andrews Church, Kirkandrews, Balmaghie (2.67 miles)

Crossmichael, settlement, Crossmichael (2.68 miles)

Crossmichael, parish (2.68 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the parish kirk, built inn 1592, apparently on the site of a medieval predcessor (NMRS).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other places

Contains St Inan's Church, Parton

Parish details

Parton

Parish TLA

PAR

County

Kirkcudbrightshire

Medieval diocese

Galloway

Parish notes

Both parsonage and vicarage were erected into a prebend of the collegiate church of Lincluden by Henry bp. of Galloway 1526-41 at the instigation of Ninian Glendinning laird of Parton, the cure thenceforward to be a vicarage pensionary (St A. Formulare no. 358 [but no original form of the name given in printed version]. The erection nevertheless appears to have been non-effective as none of the subsequent parsons appear as canons of Lincluden, although this in itself cannot be taken as conclusive. See Cowan 1967, 162 for more details and references. Brooke 1983, 68 lists Kircandrum Purten and Kirkandres Porton as forms of Parton, but in fact these represent Kirkandrews Purtoun etc. KXQ, now part of Borgue BOR KCB. Bagimond (for example) clearly distinguishes them: Kirkandrews (Kircandrum Purten/Purcon) is listed after Senwick, and in Galloway diocese, Desnes deanery, while Parton (Parcon) is listed as being in Galloway diocese, Glenken deanery.