St Mary's Church, South Uist

Grid reference

NF 758 364 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

75800 836400





Nearby places

Caibeal Dhiarmaid, South Uist (0 miles)

St Columba's Church, South Uist (0 miles)

Howmore, former parish South Uist (0 miles)

Ardmichael, South Uist (2.55 miles)

Cladh Mhicheil, South Uist (2.59 miles)

Object Classification



Is linear feature?



Martin Martin (1703, 155): 'Churches here are St Columba and St Mary's at Hogh-more, the most centrical place on the island'. This may be the same place as the building marked Teampull Mor on OS maps (for Teampull Mhoire); on the other hand it may simply be meant for Teampull Mòr 'big church'. Reynolds, Hamilton and Raven refer to it in 2004 as Teampull Mhoire, suggesting the Marian dedication (NMRS for this site). Mary Miers (2008): 'Howmore (An t'-Hogh Mor), 12th/13th century (if Norse origin, haugr = burial mound) Occupying a prehistoric site and possibly dating back to the 6th century (an Early Christian graveslab lies among the ruins), this fragmentary group of two medieval churches and two surviving chapels is one of the most important religious sites in the Outer Hebrides. It became an important seat of learning during the Lordship of the Isles and was the burial place of the Clanranald chiefs after the Reformation. By the end of the 17th century the buildings were probably ruinous. Several burial enclosures and the kirkyard wall, mid-late 19th century.' See NMRS for further discussion and description.

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Caibeal Dhiarmaid, South Uist

Adjacent St Columba's Church, South Uist