St Mary's Abbey / Cathedral (Iona)

Grid reference

NM 286 245 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

128600 724500

Latitude

56.33498230348545

Longitude

-6.391732083941716

County

Argyllshire

Nearby places

Cill Mo-Neachdain, eccles. KKV (Iona) (0.06 miles)

St Mary's Chapel, KKV (Iona) (0.09 miles)

Reilig Orain, KKV (Iona) (0.09 miles)

St Oran's Chapel, KKV (Iona) (0.09 miles)

Tobar Odhrain, KKV (Iona) (0.12 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

This is the Benedictine Abbey which was erected on the site of the ancient Columban monastery in, or shortly before, 1203, not without considerable controversy. NMRS: In 1499 the church became the Cathedral of the Bishops of the Isles.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Iona, former parish, KKV (formerly)

Within Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon, modern parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Reilig Orain, KKV (Iona)