Lady Well, Menmuir

Grid reference

NO 583 662 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

358300 766200





Altitude (metres)




Nearby places

Dunlappie, former parish, Stracathro (1.17 miles)

Kilgarie, settlement Menmuir (1.18 miles)

Our Lady's Hermitage, Menmuir (1.43 miles)

Edzell, parish (1.55 miles)

St Lawrence's Well, Edzell (2.08 miles)

Object Classification


Is linear feature?



On the eastern boundary of Menmuir, where it marches with Strathcathro Parish. Note that it lies a short distance south of Chapelton, which is mentioned in 1546: 'terras et villas de Braco, Chapeltoun, Wodlandis de Balzordie, Heremetage, cum toftis, croftis et pratis de Kilgarie, quarterium terrarum et ville de Petmwdie in parochia de Menmure' (RMS iv no. 1117). The hermitage was that of the Chapel of the BVM recorded in 1445 (NMRS). Andrew Jervise, in 1853 describing the ‘Hermitage of the Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Forest of Kilgery’quotes in his book The History and Traditions of the Land of the Lindseys (2nd ed., Edinburgh 1882): “This old chaplainry stood in a field near the farmhouse of Chapelton of Dunlappie. The stones of the chapel were taken to build the farm-steading, and a fine spring, about a hundred and fifty yards south east of the site of the chapel, still bears the name of Ladywell, in honour of the Virgin.”

Relationships with other parishes

Within Menmuir, parish