St Columba's Priory, Kingussie

Grid reference

NH 756 007 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

275600 800700

Latitude

57.08065169048112

Longitude

-4.052628618037332

County

Inverness-shire

Nearby places

St Columba's Church, Kingussie KIN (0.14 miles)

Kingussie, former parish, Kingussie & Insh (0.14 miles)

Kingussie & Insh, modern parish (0.57 miles)

Croftmartin, Kingussie and Insh (3.32 miles)

St Bridget's Chapel, Cladh Bhride KIN (3.37 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

A Carmelite friary which has left little historical record. Cowan & Easson 1976, 136: 'Fd. by George, E. of Huntly (d. 1501) (MacFarlane Genealogocal Coll. ii, 416; RSS ii, xxiv). Payments of alms to the friars are recorded 7 Nov 1501, 10 Sept 1506 (TA ii, 76l; ibid. iii, 281). A prior occurs c.1520 (SRO Forglen Writs, iv, 31) and the prior and convent received royal protection 12 Jan 1531 (RSS ii no. 797). The 'prior de Kingusye' occurs in a rental of 1565 (Moray Reg., 450). TA iii, 281: 'Item, the viij day of September, to the Freris of Kingusee, xiiij s.' (September 1506).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Kingussie & Insh, modern parish

Within Kingussie, former parish, Kingussie & Insh (formerly)