Moffat, parish

Grid reference

NT 085 051 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

308500 605100





Nearby places

Lady Knowe, Moffat (0.09 miles)

Andrew's Well, Moffat (0.2 miles)

St Cuthbert's Chapel, Kirkpatrick-Juxta (0.77 miles)

Lawrencefield, settlement, Moffat (1.08 miles)

Kirkpatrick Juxta Moffat, parish (2.61 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?



The NGR is fort the old parish kirk of Moffat, errected in 1610, parts of the gables of which still survive (NMRS). It may lie on the site of the medieval kirk.

Relationships with other places

Contains Andrew's Well, Moffat

Contains Lady Knowe, Moffat

Contains Lawrencefield, settlement, Moffat

Parish details

Moffat MOF.

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese


Parish notes

Confirmed to the bishop of Glasgow by Pope Alexander III in 1179, the church was evidently already in dispute between Engelram bp. of Glasgow and Robert de Brus, the latter conceding the church to Bp. Jocelin 1187x89 (Glas. Reg. nos. 51, 72-3). The church had been erected into a prebend of Glasgow Cathedral by 1375 and so continued at the Reformation. See Cowan 1967, 148 for more details and references.