Kirkpatrick Juxta Moffat, parish

Grid reference

NT 082 009 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

308200 600900





Nearby places

Kirkpatrick, eccles., Kirkpatrick Juxta (0 miles)

Catharine's Hill, Wamphray (1.72 miles)

Cuddy's Stone, Kirkpatrick Juxta (1.8 miles)

Andrew's Well, Moffat (2.55 miles)

Lady Knowe, Moffat (2.56 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?



The church here, St Patrick's church, was built in 1799-1800 (NMRS), but there are earlier gravemarkers in the kirkyard. A little to the east lie a Roman Camp, Roman fort and Roman fortlet, on the west side of the River Annan.

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Dumgree, former parish, Kirkpatrick Juxta

Parish details

Kirkpatrick Juxta (Moffat) KPJ, now contains Dumgree DXG.

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese


Parish notes

By a convention between Robert de Bruce and Engelram bp. of Glasgow 1164-73/74, and confirmed by Bp. Jocelin c.1187x89 the church or rather its patronage was ceded to the bishops (Glas. Reg. nos. 72-73). For more details and refs., see Cowan 1967, 124. Whiteholm (house, land and shepherd’s house) KPJ was situated in LAN until 1891, when it was transferred to DMF. Shennan 1892, 337, where it is also noted that the OS 1st edn had wrongly placed all the parish in DMF. Also contains the medieval parish of Dumgree DXG.